About Mary Bridget Davies
Mary Bridget Davies’ journey as a Blues Diva began in 2002 with a Robert Lockwood Jr. (March 27, 1915 – November 21, 2006) jam one night at the original Fat Fish Blue in her hometown of Cleveland, Ohio and had the opportunity of sitting in with the maestro on several future occasions including a Katrina benefit in 2005 joined by Buddy Miles. She met her first band around this time and it didn’t take long before the band was touring nationally and representing the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the International Blues Challenge two years in a row. The band has been nominated several times by the Cleveland Scene and Free Times for “Best Blues Band” and Davies won the “Best Vocalist Award” in 2004.
In 2005, Davies secured an open-call audition for the smash Off-Broadway musical, Love, Janis, when they needed a new lead actress/vocalist to portray Janis Joplin. She auditioned and out of roughly 150 actors, she came out with the lead role. Love, Janis has toured the country with Mary at the “Janis” helm since. Big Brother & the Holding Co., Joplin’s original band, asked Mary to sing for them in 2006 and she has enjoyed European tours and shows all over the US with the guys since.
Another amazing opportunity presented itself during the summer of 2007 when Mary was asked to join the cast of the Tony Award nominated Broadway musical It Ain’t Nothin’ but the Blues performed at Theatre Aspen in Colorado. This musical revue traces the history of blues music with more than three dozen songs.
In 2010 Mary moved to Kansas City, recorded her debut blues album, Wanna Feel Somethin’, at West End Studios, in KC and was nominated “Best Blues Album” by Kansas City Pitch. Mary and her band recently competed in the 2011 International Blues Challenge and won 2nd place in the band category out of 110 bands.
The Mary Bridget Davies Group
Mary Bridget Davies – Vocals
Dave Hays – Lead Guitar, Vocals
Gary Roberts – Bass, Vocals
Chris Hazelton – Organ, Keys, Vocals
Joe Voye – Percussion, Vocals
a few kudos …
- Recipient of the BEST VOCALIST AWARD by the Cleveland Free Times
- 2005 International Blues Challenge FINALIST
- Won award for BEST MOMENT IN THEATRE 2007 by the Kansas City Pitch for role as Janis Joplin in the Off-Broadway smash musical, Love, Janis which was the inaugural production at KC’s new Copaken Stage located in the H&R Block Building.
- Starred in the KC Rep Theatre’s New Year’s Repartee 2007 from December 28-31st at the UMKC Campus Cherry Street Theatre. A musical review of songs from Love, Janis, It Ain’t Nothin’ But the Blues, Hank Williams: Lost Highway and more!
- Mary Bridget starred in the National Tour of Love, Janis in 2008
- 2011 International Blues Challenge Second Place WINNER